It’s getting chilly out there! Warm up with some hot mulled cider - a fall favorite. If you have friends coming over, put a big pot of this on the stove, and your whole home will smell warm and welcoming. Or if you’ve got a tailgate to attend, fill up a big thermos and add some bourbon to keep yourself warm. This drink pairs perfectly with spiced pumpkin poppers, or stands alone as a an easy fall cocktail everyone will love.
- 2 quarts apple cider
- 1/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/8 tsp. ground ginger, or a 1 inch piece of fresh ginger, diced
- 1 orange (unpeeled), quartered
- 2 cinnamon sticks, broken in half
- 1 tsp. whole cloves
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract, or ½ vanilla bean, split
- Brandy or bourbon (optional)
- Combine cider, sugar, ginger, orange, cinnamon, cloves, and vanilla in a large pot with a lid.
- Bring everything to a boil, and then lower to a simmer for 30 minutes to an hour.
- When you’re ready to serve, add a shot of brandy or bourbon to each mug, then fill to the brim with the hot cider (avoiding the oranges and spices).
- Stir to combine, and garnish with a cinnamon stick
Photo Credit: http://www.cookingwithmykid.com/drinks/